Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 22:04:50 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, scrappy@hub.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

dennis wrote:

> There's too much "its fixed in -current" or "it'll be in the next release"
> and not enough commitment to getting fixes and important new feature
> into the short-term.

Oh...so you want more innovation and features? You have two options:
1) Use current; developers don't screw things to see "what happens
if..", they try to keep the system as best as they possibly can. I hate
this comparison, but think snapshots are something like MS's "betas". If
everyone reported the bugs they find in current there would be nothing
to fix in the release.
2) Use Linux, they have many more developers and do exactly what you
suggest. You probably know how their releases are (one unstable, one
stable shortly after the unstable one). Lot's of new features
guaranteed!

You would be surprised with the problems users in other BSD's have in
order to have their changes committed. Personally I am satisfied with
the releases. Innovations (like DOS emulation) usually get late to
FreeBSD, but when they arrive they are more stable and better
implemented. FreeBSD advances more rapidly that most commercial OSs, but
what makes it more valuable is that it is as stable as the commercial
versions.

> >> 4) Lack of focus as to what FreeBSD is (jack of all trades, master
> >> of none)

Who defines what is FreeBSD's locus: You?, me?, The core team?. "What
ever Bill Gates dislikes" ?
In an interview Linus admitted that Linux's objectives were never clear,
people simply implemented things and he chose what the features he liked
most.
We have our objectives (consult the handbook) but in general terms the
way we follow depends on what users want and developers can provide. In
our present case, having commercial options benefits users and
developers.

> Something to consider is that if your big enough, you dont have to
> have a focus because you have enough resources to do everything.

If your statement is true, you will always find someone bigger than you,
so you will have to have a locus anyway :).

Pedro.