Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:46:06 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT over bluetooth for mobile devices

04.06.2010 13:43, Maksim Yevmenkin ???????(??):
> i don't really think its has to be that complicated. all we really
> want to do here is to turn mobile device (i.e. phone) into a
> "gateway". that is mobile device needs to be multihomed (local
> network, and, cellular data network). local network can be bluetooth,
> wifi or even plain usb/serial cable. for bluetooth we can use lan or
> pan profiles. wifi, obviously, "just works" most of the time.

Do those profiles (almost) always exist on otherwise suitable devices?
Even if available from the manufacturer, they may be disabled by the
service provider...

It may be simpler if the communication was over some other, widely
available, profile. A customized daemon (perhaps even a patched-up ppp)
would then run on the computer behind the tun-interface, relaying
network-requests over the bluetooth (or cable) link for a piece of
software on the device to turn into network packets, which would appear
to the rest of the world as originating from the device itself.
> the trick is the second part, i.e. "natd" part that runs on the mobile device.

Absolutely... I don't have the slightest idea, where to even begin such
a thing...

    -mi