Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 12:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape Proxy Server on FreeBSD

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Alex Nash wrote:

> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > > A derivative of Harvest is also available:
> > >
> > >    http://www.nlanr.net/Squid/
> >
> > Funny - someone just submitted a squid port.  Guess we'll have to
> > bring it in now. :-)
>
> :) Harvest is also available as a package in -current.
>
> Alex

I would be nice to see Squid packaged too! It's basically the
continuation of the Harvest work (the non-commerical split..) and it
works quite nicely! We have it setup in a hierarchical system, with a
total of about 2 Gigs of cache. Works very well. So far it seems to be
about 45% effective on cache hits.

I also run the Netscape Proxy server on a 2.1R machine (v1.12 of NS) with
no problems. A real no brainer to setup, and the performance seems very
good. I'm not sure if the next version of the proxy is out for the BSD
platform yet, but I heard it will be BSDI 2.x .

Anyone do any testing on which proxy is better (perfomance and hit
percentage wise)? The NS proxy we use caches about a Gig, with about 150
modem users hitting it. It usually avaerages 30% cache hit successes -
which seems pretty decent for a single cache. I haven't tested, but the
performance _Seems_ better than Squid... the two have very different
forking properties..

Comments welcome!

-Mark

 :%t$sig   -- Oops, thought I was in vi..
| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |