Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:22:28 -0400
From:      "Marcel Mason" <marcel@nunanet.com>
To:        "freebsd-newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

Tim Gerchmez said:

>Actually, there is no problem on the software side as far as Unix goes - in
>fact, most of what costs in Windows you get free in Unix, and usually with
>equal the features and triple the configurability.  Honestly, how hard have
you
>looked for an HTML editor for Unix?  Have you searched the Net thoroughly?
>BTW, HTML is so easy to program, why not learn to do it by hand.  You say
you
>like control over configurability, well, writing HTML by hand is a breeze
and
>gives you complete control over the layout and display of the pages.  To
me,
>it's the only way to fly.

I've had a fairly good look around (and actually found a few ftp sites with
*nix
software on them that I'm contemplating posting here someday) and found
*almost* all the software I need. Many hours have, and still are, spent
looking
for available *nix software to do what I need to do.

HTML *is* easy to code, the first sites I built were built completely with
note
pad. The usual swing followed to 100% wysiwyg editors which very soon lost
their luster because while they were easy to use they took away too much
control. The swing settled at programs like Arachnophilia & Galt WebMaster
which give me the best of both worlds.

* Type text
* highlight text
* click tag wanted on tool bar
* done

I work on corporate intranets a lot of the time, they don't want to pay for
the time it takes for people to type in every tag by hand.