Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Quinn <letter2steve@yahoo.com>
To:        Andrew Berry <andrewberry@sentex.net>, =?utf-8?B?TmVqYyDFoGtvYmVybmU=?= <nejc@skoberne.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Openvpn on FreeBSD 7

--- On Tue, 6/10/08, Nejc =C5=A0koberne <nejc@skoberne.net> wrote:

=20
> Actually I don't think you can do the same thing with a
> tunnel. You have
> to use a different IP addresses for the tunnel itself. Have
> you read the
> OpenVPN manual?
>=20
> > Yes, I did: 'tcpdump -i tun0'. Nothing shows
> up on the server, but on=20
> > the client (OS X) I can see the pings being sent.
>=20
> This means that there is a problem with the OpenVPN
> connection. Can you show
> the tail of your logs on both sides?
>=20
> > proto tcp
>=20
> Why are you using TCP anyway?
>=20
> Bye,
> Nejc

Hi Andrew, Nejc, All

I just built my first FreeBSD 7.0 machine to test OpenVPN on it
It was a nice way to review/fix my OpenVPN page

I forgot to stress how important the sysctl setting is for net.inet.ip.forw=
arding

The default is disabled (0) and I to could not connect beyond the OpenVPN s=
erver=20

I'm editing the page now to include something like this

Make sure IP Forwarding is enabled
Check it with
sysctl -a |grep net.inet.ip.f

Set it with
sysctl inet.inet.ip.forwarding=3D1
or
Alternatively set it by adding this to /etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.ip.forwarding=3D1

I hope this helps

Take care

Steve=0A=0A=0A