Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:35:52 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        rsi@panix.com
Cc:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Listening to users [was Re: Package system wishlist]

Redirected from -arch...

Rajappa Iyer wrote:
> Also note that FreeBSD, by and large, does not have
> nearly as many incompatible changes to the device driver interface.

You haven't tried to write a PCI card driver lately, have you?

	"It's still quite opaque to me"

	What's the matter with the card I'm using?
	"Can't you tell we changed the A-P-I?"
	Maybe I should build some old scratch boxes?
	"Welcome back to Rel 4 point 5.
	Where have you been running lately, honey?
	You can't run current till you spend a lot of money."
	Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new bus
	Funny, but it's still quite opaque to me

	What's the matter with the code I'm writing?
	"Can't you tell that it's out of style(9)?"
	Should I get a set of programming manuals?
	"Do you think that your code will compile?
	Nowadays you can't be too sentimental
	Your best bet's the new stuff, or your're gonna' go mental."
	CAM stuff, new bus, even if it's old bus
	It's still quite opaque to me

	Oh, it doesn't matter what they say in the papers
	'Cause it's always been the same old scene.
	There's a new devfs in town
	But you can't get the code to run clean...
	Especially on your old machine

	How about a pair of 17-40 Controllers
	Does the EISA driver even have a chance?
	"You could really be a real hacker, baby
	If you rewrote it all from scratch.
	Don't waste your money on a new bunch of hardware,
	You get more mileage digging up an old box somewhere."
	Next phase, new wave, release delays, anyways
	It's still quite opaque to me

	What's the matter with the list I'm posting to?
	"Don't you know that they're out of touch?"
	Should I try to install the latest -current?
	"If you do then you'll crash too much.
	Don't you know about the new approach honey?
	All you need are docs and a whole lotta money."
	It's the next phase, new wave, release delays, anyways
	It's still quite opaque to me

	Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new code
	Funny, but it's still quite opaque to me

-- Terry