Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 23:00:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Johan Granlund <johan@granlund.nu>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Subject:   Re: DDS alternative

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Louis A. Mamakos wrote...

> > Just to chime in on the other side, I've been using DAT tapes for quite a
> > few years, starting with an Archive Python DDS-1 drive and lately with a
> > DDS-2 Archive/Seagate 4 slot changer.  These drives have proven to be
> > reliable for me in a fairly light duty cycle application.  I also just
> > picked up (at work) an HP DDS-3, 6 slot changer.   This looks pretty
> > sweet, with DDS-3 giving you 12GB (about 24GB compressed capacity) per
> > tape.
> >
> > The media is pretty cost-effective, which you should be sure to take
> > into account when comparing the alternatives.
>
> Ever tried to read a tape written a year ago? I've heared to much horror
> stories about unreadable DAT tapes to trust them...

After getting four drives failing for me in the same month i am somewhat
sceptical of them. It was 2 DDS-3 and one DDS drive at work, and my
private DDS-2 drive. All four was wangdat drives. The 2 DDS-3 drives was
run every night, but got read errors when i verified the backup. The
drives was less than 1 year old when we returned them for a DLT drive.
The DDS-[1-2] drives was a couple years old but not used much.

And Yes i was using a cleaning tape regulary :-)

/Johan