Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:50:52 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed: connecting DVI TFT monitor to MGA G550 card

Christian Gusenbauer <c47g@gmx.at> wrote:

> Hmm, it seems to be so simple: take a DVI cable, connect it with the monitor
> and the G550 card, start FreeBSD (current), change some settings in the
> xorg.conf file and then start X.
>
> Well, I failed miserably :-(.
>
> The only resolutions working are 800x600 and 640x480 but the 1280x1024 I'd
> like to get does not work.

I suffered a similar experience with a G450 PCI.  It is my understanding
that enabling high resolution modes on the DVI port requires some
extra fiddling in the driver, but Matrox provides no documentation
on this so XFree86/Xorg can't implement it.  Unless you can use the
proprietary drivers Matrox provides for some platforms, you're
effectively stuck with the analog VGA port.