Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 01:33:27 +0200
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem in 2.1.5 install and loopback interface.

According to Litvin Alexander B. <litvin@cmr.kiev.ua>:
> Because DNS is for centrilized administration. If some host on the
> net changes address, with DNS you won't even notice it, but with
> hosts you'll have to ask around what happened.

Come on. No one is speaking about populating its /etc/hosts with the entire
Internet.   I am  talking  about   putting  only localhost   and your fixed
(i.e.  ethernet) interfaces so you  can boot even if  you don't  have a DNS
nearby.

If you   change  your interfaces'     addresses, you're bound   to   change
/etc/sysconfig anyway so changing /etc/hosts in the process isn't too hard.

Security-minded people generally use /etc/host.conf that way too. You don't
want to rely on the DNS for booting your firewall.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #17: Fri Aug  2 20:40:17 MET DST 1996