Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:32:28 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Jordan The Evil! (was Re: More of my totally ineffective PR effo

Brett Glass wrote:

> As it happens, I have already left the FreeBSD advocacy mailing list
> because there is clearly no point in attempting to do effective
> advocacy with you at the helm. You are undermining and sabotaging
> all such efforts. In particular, by voicing support for Microsoft's
> domination of the desktop and discouraging differentiation of
> FreeBSD from Linux, you are assuring FreeBSD's slide into obscurity.

Okay Brett, name 3 specific examples where Jordan has "undermined and
sabotaged" FreeBSD advocacy efforts by anyone. I don't just mean
where he says something on a mailing list that conflicts with your
viewpoint on an issue.

Frankly Brett, I think your arguments are a load of bollocks, and I
can't figure out why you persist in the way that you do. I also think
that your complaints about FreeBSD advocacy and comparisons
*entirely* miss the point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Linux isn't successful
because of a concerted PR effort by a small organised team. Linux
achieved its profile through the rabid, half-crazed mutterings of
several thousand university students around the world who, as the
young and inexperienced tend to do, firmly believed that the OS they
were running on their own machines was the single greatest, most
reliable, technically advanced operating system in the known
universe, irrespective of hard evidence to the contrary.

LInux had thousands of wild-eyed zealots, and bucketloads of faith.
For a successful religious movement, that's all you need.

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly