Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:43:08 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        webmaster@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Eric Anderson" <anderson@centtech.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, "Oliver Fromme" <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: To Do list / Goals

webmaster@freebsd.org,
cc advocacy@, Oliver, Eric etc,

> From: Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
> To: jhs@berklix.com (Julian Stacey)
> Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:22:54 +0200 (CEST)
>
> I noticed that the link to your "consultants index" on
> the following page is broken:
> http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/consulting.html#Julian_Stacey

> From: Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
> Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:54:18 -0600
> To: freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> - master list of major BSD vendors/consultants -> this is a GREAT idea.
>   Maybe a list by area, with contact info

There are already Two FreeBSD commercial consultants lists !

http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/consulting.html
	- Alphabetic by name of person or company, (EG I'm under `J' for
	  Julian), most useful if you already know who you want.
	- Has a Broken Link    http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/consultants.html
	  to my latest         http://berklix.com/jhs/consultants.html

http://berklix.com/jhs/consultants.html
	- Indexed geographicaly,  sorted by continent, country, region, town,
	  ideal to search for someone nearby, who you don't yet know.
	- Tabulated, no free text.
	- Split into full timers & part timers.
	- ( The freebsd.org list started after mine, but grew faster,
	    but both are at least several years old.)

The 2 pages should be merged, to merge & maintain, one would need:
	- agreement from webmaster@freebsd.org
	- commit bit to maintain the CVS'd freebsd.org web version,
Work:
- Strip (or comment out) descriptions from freebsd.org page,
  as there's no room in a table for all of this, & the info either
  grows stale or presents an extra update burden, the info is
  better updated by the consultant himself on his own page.
  Retain geographic location & contact URL's.
- Reverse geographic index the whole thing.
- Merge freebsd.org entries into my [or similar] tabular format.
- Merge in all my entries,
- Convert to SGML,
- CVS commit, to replace both existing pages.
- Maintain forever.
I volunteer to do the work if freebsd.org restore my freebsd.org/~jhs/
(which was removed when someone wrongly thought it was not used).

> so techies pushing FreeBSD
> have a "local"ish person they can ask for tips, etc.

Both commercial lists are not appropriate for people looking for
free help (there's web & email for free help). For a tabulated
list one could add an asterisk column if free help was
also offered. Not sure how keen consultants would be to tick "Yes".

PS Oliver (& other consultants), while I remember: send a _pre-formatted_
HTML entry for
	http://berklix.com/jhs/consultants.html
& I'll add you, assuming you'd like to be.

> - a "bsd vs linux" table, with factoids and references

Someone may want to integrate
	http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html
& other info into a printable leaflet format such as at:
	http://bim.bsn.com/leaflet/
If anyone does that please mail me the URL, thanks.

Julian Stacey  jhs @ berklix.com  Computer Sys. Eng. & Unix Consultant, Munich
   Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren.
   FreeBSD-4.7 just out - free with 7650 programs - http://www.freebsd.org