Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:36:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JCK License implications (was: State of Server-Side Java)

Koster, K.J. wrote:
> > Given the fact that I'm not allowed to share how the tests
> > work or my results (other than YES/NO) or how it all works
> > due to licensing, I'm not sure why...
>
> Nate: fourteen bugs to go!
> us:   Yay! What's the error message?
> Nate: Sorry, but that I cannot disclose. Licensing, you see.
> us:   Could we have a stacktrace then?
> Nate: Well, no. Licensing, you see.
> us:   Euh, Ok. Is it in Swing, can I reproduce it with a demo?
> Nate: Can't say. Licensing, you see.
>
> Hardly a community effort. :-/

As Nate said, its not our choice.

> I never realised that access to JCK would condemn you to fixing all the bugs
> too, Nate. You'll let us know when it's all done, yes? Off you go, no time
> to waste. :-)

Well, it might be even worse than that.  Its not clear to me that I'll
still be able to release patchsets once we merge a newer version of the
JDK 1.2.2 source code as that code will have been obtained under the same
licensing conditions as the JCK.

I'm considering how this can be avoided while still making progress on a
binary release.  I really don't want to lose the possibility of things like
Fuyuhiko-san's native thread patches happening in the future.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083