Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:31:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Walsh <mack23@bigstar.eecs.nwu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3c589, 2.1.0-RELEASE, ThinkPad 701, zp driver

[ I originally posted this to comp.[...].freebsd.misc.  Zero replies.
  If anyone can provide a clue injection, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks
  very much! ]

I *know* that this is going to turn out to be due to something I stupidly
did not do, but I've checked the FAQs, pummeled LYCOS, and still made no
progress.

Here's the situation.

I have a TP701CS, and a 3com 3c589C combo (10BaseT and BNC) PCMCIA card.

I have only FreeBSD on my laptop, but using a friend's laptop I configured
the card like so:  IRQ 10, port 0x300, card services off, use BNC connector.

Then I modified the GENERIC kernel config file by commenting out the
de0,ed0,ed1,le0,ep0,ix0,ie0,lnc0,lnc1, and ze0 drivers, and putting in
"zp0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector zpintr", as found
in the LINT kernel config file.  The "ether" pseudo-device and the INET
option are, as you'd expect, compiled into the kernel.

In addition, no other devices in the kernel config file use IRQ 10, or
port 0x300.

The kernel compiles fine, and when I boot from it, I see the following:

zp: found card in slot 0
zp0: not found at 0x300

I'm afraid I have no idea why the driver is not found.  Can anyone
suggest how I can remedy this?  E-mail or post -- I'll gladly summarize
if warranted.

Thanks.

PS: if this is discussed in a FAQ, point me at it since my previous
searches somehow missed it.
--
Chris Walsh                             finger mack23@ece.nwu.edu
ECE Dept., Northwestern Univ.           for PGP 2.6.2 public key