Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:14:41 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unexpected resolver behaviour in 4.1-RELEASE

* Viktor A. Fomichev <vfom@sice.ru> [20001031 09:10]:
=>Hi!
=>
=>It seems, a bug exist in resolver implementation since 4.1.
=>I have a small private network with internal DNS. (no relations with
=>internet).
=>Name server is 192.168.10.130. Domain name is my.domain.com
=>
=>At host bsd.my.domain.com :
=>
=>No local named daemon.
=>No ipv6 in kernel.
=>No lkm's. (All i need compiled in kernel. Other moduler removed.)
=>
=>/etc/resolv.conf
=>        #
=>	nameserver 192.168.10.130
What about with nameserver 127.0.0.1 added to resolv.conf on ns ?? What is
the
behaviour?

=>	#
=>/etc/host.conf
=>	#
=>	hosts
=>	bind
=>	#
=>/etc/hosts
=>        #
=>	127.0.0.1	locahost
=>	192.168.10.205	bsd.my.domain.com bsd
=>	192.168.10.130  ns.my.domain.com ns
=>	#
=>
=>% uname -a
=>FreeBSD bsd.my.domain.com 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #1: Thu Oct 26
=>00:54:45 NOVST 2000
=>root@bsd.my.domain.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MY_HOST  i386
=>
=>% nslookup somehost
=>Server:  ns.my.domain.com
=>Address:  192.168.10.130
=>
=>Name:    somehost.my.domain.com
=>Address:  192.168.10.110
=>
=>%ping somehost
=>ping: cannot resolve somehost: Unknown host
=>
=>%
=>
=>Using ethereal i intecept DNS traffic generated by above
=>mentioned commands.
=>Host send identical requests for the first and second commands.
=>NS server send identical reply for the first and second DNS requests!
=>(only transaction IDs different)
=>
=>Whats the matter?
=>
=>The same problem exists in 4.1.1-RELEASE
=>The same problem was detected while using PERL's gethostbyname.
=>
=>By.
=>
=>
=>To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
=>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

There are more things, Lucilius, that frighten us than injure us, and we
suffer more in imagination than in reality. -Seneca, "Epistulae ad Lucilium"