Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:18:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp6564.on.sympatico.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, pechter@lakewood.com, softweyr@xmission.com, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> And why is there always this patriotic assumption that it would be
> such a bad thing?  Populations have always moved around, the jet &

I will try to be a little bit more direct in expressing my concern.
Consider that Canada is a developed country.  By no means perfect,
and, in fact, with many very evident flaws (which pundits and
commentaries always take the opportunity to remind us of every time
we top the UN's "best country" list).  Consider that as living
standards increase, or, more accurately, as the country becomes more
"developed", the birth rate falls.  Now consider our hope that
global living standards will increase over time.

My concern is not that any given genetic group will disappear, but
that we as a human race may.  Yes, for example, the US is a
developed country, and it has an increasing population, but consider
where this increase comes from?  I would be surprised if it came
from anywhere other than the substandard areas of the country.

> I would argue that rather than arguing for the perpetuation of
> increasingly arbitrary genetic entities like "Canada", the most
> logical solution would be to simply de-emphasize the whole border
> concept and try to think of things more in terms of resources being
> moved to wherever they need to go, be those resources human or

My concern is global; my example was local.

> I'm also not arguing against diversity, don't get me wrong - I'll be
> as sad as anyone to see the "pure ethnicity" of certain regions

Well, for the sake of this email, I have tried not to fall back onto
the argument of diversity, which is hard after being exposed to
years of government advertising promoting diversity.  :-)

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names