Date:      11 Jul 1998 21:07:16 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, jasone@canonware.com, smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft's breaches of contract (was: FBSD license and   multiple copyright holders)

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:
> Interestingly, the Microsoft Windows 95 implementations of a few TCP/IP
> utilities are said to have Berkeley copyright notices in the code, which
> means they're probably derived from FreeBSD utilities. Is Microsoft giving
> credit to the developers? If it isn't, it may be violating the
> Berkeley-style license and thus could be the target of a copyright lawsuit.

No, you've got it mixed up a bit.

Microsoft ships the standard BSD ftp client with Windows 95 and NT
(probably 98 too, I haven't checked). If you search the archives for
the beginning of this thread, you'll find I posted an article with the
SCCS ID extracted from the Windows 95 ftp client.

However, this is *not* the FreeBSD ftp client. They're kinda cousins.
Microsoft uses a plain vanilla 4.x BSD ftp ported to Windows 95, while
FreeBSD has added fifteen tons of nifty features (command-line editing
and file name completion come to mind).

If you check the ftp(1) code (/usr/src/usr/bin/ftp/) you'll see it
uses the old-style four-clause BSD copyright, which requires all
advertising material for software derived from BSD-licensed code to
include the mention "This product includes software developed by the
University of California, Berkeley and its contributors."

Obviously, they're not doing it. Equally obviously, nobody so far has
had the balls to challenge this practice.

DES (who whishes he had a Congressman to write to)
--
One two, one two, one two.