Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 12:49:03 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hang in the sc0 probe...

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Narvi wrote:
>
> > sco: disbaled and dies aswell. Perhaps it is not something in the sc0
> > probe that kills it but something emmediately after that? What comes
> > after the sc0 probe?
>
> Depends on your config file.  Normally, the sio probes follow.  I
> would have immediately pointed this out if your card was one of the
> newer Mach64 boards which are known to suffer from an early dead when
> being touched during the 2.1R sio probe.  Perhaps the CL boards are
> behaving similarly?
>
> Disable _all_ sio's to verify this.

I just solved the problem by a left shift. That is I shifted all the PCI
cards one slot to the left from the position they used to be. I had
previously tried to put the graphics card in any possible slot, but to no
difference. But once  I moved all (incl. Adaptec AHA2940 which I had
previously not touched) the problem disappared. It seems it was Adaptec
that was offending it in some way - it made past the probe, all
information about the two disks and a DAT was displayed and then just a
hang... It works now again. The sc0 probe seems to have been the last,
after it came init and mounting disks (once it made to it).

Thanx to all who responded.

	Sander