Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 08:04:59 -0800
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

|>  Well, here is my take on things.  I think that ID should be able to make
|>  their games for any operating systems they want, including Linux.  If they
|>  don't want to make a FreeBSD version, then ultimately WE must get our
|>  Linux ELF emulation in shape to run that.  However, I find it more than a
|>  little annoying that they push multiple Unix versions of DOOM (Solaris,
|>  SGI, QNX, Linux), as well as OS/2 and Win32 betas, out on the net, then
|>  don't support them.  If you finger help@idsoftware.com (which is a NeXT
|>  box, btw), all of the Unix ports of DOOM say:
|>
|>  "Do not send us mail about this port. We will delete it. NO CHANGE."
|>
|>  Now this isn't a very nice attitude to take!  ...

The explanation for their position is simple and easily justifiable.
Id didn't do those ports; and is offering access to the binaries only
as a service to their customers, just like the contributed levels and
other hacks.

I don't know the details of the other ports; but I do know that the
Solaris port was the result of a couple of SunSoft's (X) Windows
Performance Engineers (under non-disclosure) and a couple of Id's
engineers who like Suns, all working on their own time.  (I also know
that when it was done, doom on an SS-20 with a ZX framebuffer was the
fastest, smoothest implementation available.  Easily beat the SGI...)

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG  ||  http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/  ||  lashley@netcom.com