Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 11:47:05 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Scanning for Interfaces!

Hiya all.

I'm working on hacking up a Linux IPX program, LinWare (lwared-0.95)
I've got it compiling, It runs, It dosn't work! :(
No connection to the interface yet.

The problem:	Several. :(
In hopes of:	Help!
Reason     :	It's over my head. :(
		  And would like very much to change this!
  		  Only way is to dive in! I have, I need some
		  assitance.

System 2.1.0-R, fbsd-ipx patch. (2.1.5 when I get the CD)

Problem one:
	socket(AF_IPX, SOCK_xxxx, PF_IPX)
Fails with: Protocol not supported! (xxxx = DGRAM or others)
So I look elsewhere for uses of 'socket', I of course found many
and noticed that few use the third param. (protocol)

Is there something else thats missing??

My fix was: (Right or wrong, I don't know)
	socket(AF_IPX, SOCK_xxxx, 0)
This got me past this prob! Did it lead me to the following!

Problem two:
Scanning for interfaces fails! It seems the index of the interface
structures/tables is off, It lists the first one sorta right, And
the rest keep getting further and further off.
(The first one works except for the address translation, I can fix)
I have compared the structures they match pretty close! I see nothing
that should cause this! the sizes are all determind via sizeof()
anyways.

Is there a function someplace that is a prime example of scanning
for interfaces!
I have looked through, IPXrouted, netstat, various if_?? files.
They are all specfic.

I would post the apporaite functions but they are a bit large!
Would prefer sending in private, versus the list.

IPXrouted seems to run fine although I don't know how to
test/use it! (Or really what it would be used for??)

My net HW setup is:
	ed0: Generic NE2000
		ifconfig_ed0="inet a.b.c.d netmask 0xffffff00
	ed1: Novell NE1000 (810- or 950- model, forget)
		ifconfig_ed1="ipx 0x14239"
Cabling: Thinnet.
	Netware 3.11 IPX,TCP/IP
	ipx internal net: 6345403-----FBSD_ed0-|
                                      FBSD_ed1-|---various_others!

Any ideas?

BTW: I added two things to sockaddr_ipx in sys/netipx/ipx.h
struct sockaddr_ipx {
    u_char      sipx_len;
    u_char      sipx_family;
    struct ipx_addr sipx_addr;
    char        sipx_zero[2];
    u_char      sipx_type;	/* tcg */
    u_long      sipx_network;	/* tcg */
};

What would be the apporaite change?? (Tall order :)
I'm sure sipx_network could be changed in my hack to fit the
sipx_addr structs if I knew what the comparable was.

Yes, I have lots to learn, I'm not afraid to! But I need some
guidence.

Thanks.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848