Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:56:16 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.subr startup question

Hello,

I'm running 5.3-STABLE and I want to write a startup script for
ports/sysutils/mcron.  The twis is, I want an mcron process for
each user I specify in an external file.  For example...

/usr/local/etc/mcron.conf:
$usernames="user1 user2 user3"

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mcron.sh
#!/bin/sh

# $Id$

# PROVIDE: mcron
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: FreeBSD shutdown
#
. /etc/rc.subr

name="mcron"
prefix=/usr/local
command=${prefix}/bin/${name}
mcron_enable=${mcron_enable:-"NO"}
mcron_flags=${mcron_flags-"-d"}

# Load user names from conf file
#
. ${prefix}/etc/${name}.conf

rcvar=`set_rcvar`

load_rc_config $name

for user in ${usernames}; do

	mcron_user=${user}
	run_rc_command "$1"

done

This does not work because run_rc_command checks to see if the process
is already running before attempting to launch another instance.  I've
read rc.subr(8) and it's not apparent if I can use the rc.subr tools in
this scenario.  Perhaps this is something best accomplished in
/etc/rc.local?  Any and all suggestions welcome.

--
Regards,
Doug