Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 23:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        Adam Furman <afurman@sunfire.j51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: network card

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Adam Furman wrote:

> I run a FreeBSD server runing 2.1.0 and runing it on a 486 dx4-100 with
> 36mb of ram, 48 mb swap, a 1,3gig ide hardrive  and a LinkSYS Network
> card.  My problem is the ping times on the network card are around .80
> when pinging it self.  The config on that card is 0x300 and irq 5 using
> le1 as it driver.  My problem is the other two servers in the isp are
> getting around .20 when pinging it self and using a different driver.  I
> would like to know what is wrong and what can maybe be done.  Please I
> need help.
> Adam

if your talking about pinging yourself it has nothing to do with your
network card... it has to do with things like cpu...  you have to relize
that when you ping localhost you do everything localy and don't touch the
network...

what are your other two servers?  pentium systems?...  my AMD 5x86/133
gets around .8ms ping times too... jtymltk... TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)