Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 18:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de driver problem

> > > If ``make cleandir'' is leaving some cruft in any form behind anyplace
> > > in the build tree things are broken.
> >
> > Sounds very reasonable to me. Running the same command twice to get
> > things really clean sounds suspicious ;-)
>
> Let me explain ``make cleandir'' then.

Perhaps you missed the ``as the original author of make cleandir'' in my
posting.  I wrote it in the days of the 386BSD patchkit.  I _know_ what it
was meant to do, and it is _NOT_ doing what it is suppose to do!!!

> *IF* you have a /usr/obj/usr/src/ tree, then ``make cleandir'' will clean
> that tree out.  Thus if somehow you have junk in /usr/src/, it will not
> get cleaned out.  On the second run of ``make cleandir'' it will notice
> that /usr/obj/ is empty and assume you were building "in-place" and clean
> out /usr/src/.

This is what is happening now, it is not what should be happening.  The
orignal ``make cleandir'' would clean both the object tree and the source
tree of all remanants of any files created by any and all make commands.

The brokenness occured when the obj symlinks where removed from the
src tree and cleandir was rewritten.

>     cd /usr/src ; make cleandir ; make cleandir
>
> solves weird build problems much of the time.

BROKEN!  Thats all I have to say.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD