Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:10:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> to black magic.  I can't imagine a better use of John Fieber's (or Ade
> Barkah's) extremely limited spare time than to spec out and develop a
> "mirror kit" with full instructions and all the bits you need for
> becoming a "full" FreeBSD www mirror.  Without that, we're screwed and
> won't ever advance beyond the current state of the art.

Before raising the bar, we should survey the mirrors and figure
out how far the bar can be raised before too many drop out.  For
example, with the mailing list archives approaching 700
megabytes, I'm sure mirroring those would kill off almost all!

Also to be considered is shifting from distributing the built
pages, to distributing the web source and having mirrors build on
site.  This would make it easier to make local variations, such
as the "about this server" page, primary ftp site used and the
like.  To do this, the web source needs to be more self
contained.  Currently, as Paul Richards recently reminded me,
building it depends on thing neither in FreeBSD or the web tree.
It also depends on having access to a cvs repository to get at
the handbook, faq and (currently) the index file from the ports
collection.

Generally, the build procedure has a lot of rough edges to be
smoothed.  Since I built the build procedure, I take full credit
for those edges.  It was my first attempt at crafting a build
procedure emulating the slick one used for the rest of the
FreeBSD system.  I've definately got a bit to learn!

Another important thing is to keep web and ftp mirrors in sync
such that a web mirror can reliably point to its corresponding
ftp mirror, rather than pointing to wcarchive.

About improving the ports interface, a lot could be done easier
and cleaner (from the user perspective) if we just served the
ports collection direct from the web server rather than linking
to wcarchive.  What sort of a load would this generate?  Are
wcarchive stats for ports handy?

-john