Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 09:50:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.7.5 issues (the sendmail in FreeBSD 2.1.5.)

> As Ollivier Robert wrote:
>
> > > (If you see this mail; then I was successfull in setting this up...)
> >
> > Except your  using these ~@#{^@~  bang  paths and  you shouldn't. Our rmail
> > (and most of the other) supports FQDN.  At least, use the uucp-uudom mailer
> > which use a bang envelope and FQDN headers.
>
> I think Data General's mail gateway is too stupid to handle the
> rivers%ponds@dg-rtp.dg.com form.  I once tried to convert Thomas'
> address into this form, and got a bounce.  (``There's no employee of
> this name at Data General...'')

 Bing!  You hit the nail right on the head...

 Unfortunately, Data General is in serious flux right now, the
original network administrator who gave me (and several other
people in the area) UUCP accounts has long since left.  His replacement
announced his resignation a few of weeks ago, and I have yet to
meet *his* replacement....

 Also, I've been given the word that this service may soon
disappear (along with the rest of Data General), so I'm investigating
ISPs in the area...  when I get that all set up, this problem
may simply vanish.

 I've noticed that Data General's machine now wants to put a
return path to 'nuucp' in the header in mail coming from 'ponds'...
I'd say their sendmail.cf needs some help.

 A path of ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com should get to me just fine.
Also, simply ponds!rivers should work, if your mailer is smart
enough to send all UUCP mail to uunet (or some equivalent.)

 After seeing your suggestion of examing the FAQ for how
to set up a UUCP account, I plan on hacking this some more at
my end...

	- Dave Rivers -