Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:09:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 570 doesn't wake up

Nate Williams writes:
 > > I'm running -CURRENT on a thinkpad 570.  When I suspend it, it will
 > > not wake up.
 >
 > [ Shot in the dark ]
 >
 > This happened to me in -stable (a long time ago, back when stable when
 > 2.2.8) when someone added in a cli call just before the APM bios was
 > called.
 >
 > The APM code in -current is *way* different, so it's possible that this
 > isn't the problem, since it's not use VM86 mode.
 >
 > However, alot of folks have been playing with the segment descriptors as
 > of late, so it's possible that they might be broken again.
 >
 > Did this every work previously, or is this the first time you've tried
 > this on the box?
 >

 > Nate

It turns out that if I enable something called "Ready-Safe" in the
Bios (or something like that, not sure of spelling), apm -z will work.
This option appears to pre-dump the contents of memory to the
hibernation file when you do a suspend.

The only other glitch is that if I use the magic key sequence or zzz
to suspend, then the machine wakes up immediately after the dump of
memory to the disk is done.   But I (or rather the machine's owner, a
prof here) can live with typing 'apm -z' rather than hitting the
suspend key..

Cheers,

Drew