Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 10:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, ponds!uriah.heep.sax.de!joerg_wunsch
Cc:        ponds!FreeBSD.org!freebsd-hackers, ponds!rivers
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.7.5 issues (the sendmail in FreeBSD 2.1.5.)

> As J Wunsch wrote...
> >
> > As Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >
> > > What did I discover?  There's no way to tell sendmail to not use
> > > DNS (it will be fixed in a "future" version.)
> >
> > That's wrong.  It's sometimes useful to read FAQs. ;-)
> >
> > You've already noticed that i'm using a fairly similar setup like you
> > (mail via UUCP, though in my case without the ugly bang :), dialup IP
> > connection occasionally, local DNS).  So it's not surprising that i've
> > been confrontated with a similar set of problems once.
>
> I also use UUCP. But: when I'm occasionally connected using PPP then
> you *do* see a DNS lookup and a direct SMTP to the outside world when
> sending mail. If PPP is down everything goes into the uucp queue as
> planned. The FEATURE(nodns) therefore does not eliminate DNS lookups
> altogether which is probably what Thomas expects (and I agree I suppose)

 Well - that's very similar to my situation, but not quite...

 What I have is a small network of 5 machines which I would
like to direct mail to a mail router.  The mail router (or
smart-host) needs to use SMTP to talk to the local network,
and UUCP for everything else.  Also, the mail router will
sometimes be connected to the internet (which is what motivated
the DNS work), so it would be nice if the router could
deliver things via the internet "when it could", as you suggest
above.

 So, when I installed the new version of sendmail, and I sent
mail on one of the interiour nodes - I discovered that no
matter what I did, the interiour node always queued the mail
it was to send to the router, waiting on DNS.  The only way
I found to fix it (I believe now we have determined others)
was to rebuild sendmail with DNS look-ups disabled.  Prior to
this version of sendmail, the absence of the 'I' option caused
it to not use DNS.

 I'm continuing to look into exactly how to set this up...

	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. As an aside - my account says "Thomas David Rivers" - but it's
  a Southern U.S. tradition to use your middle name, please call
  me "Dave" :-)   Now, your first question should be "Why did that
  fool put his entire name in the gecos field if he wants us to
  call him 'Dave'?"   Good question!  It goes back to the legal
  issues, problems with banks, etc... so, I always use my full name
  in anything remotely "official."