Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 22:23:10 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

>> These are the words of your "leader"?
>
>Being realistic about one's own strengths and weaknesses has never
>been a sin in any of the military manuals I've ever read (to continue
>your metaphor).  Overestimating your abilities, on the other hand,
>generally presages disaster.
>
>> Most of this is your own fault, for buying cheap unknown cards,
>
>Be nice, Dennis - I was speaking "in the large" here.  I don't, for
>the record, buy cheap unknown cards.  I don't buy preconfigured
>systems, either.  I buy systems assembled from a very carefully
>selected component list because I've been burned too many times by
>crappy (which is to say most) PC hardware.  However, we in the FreeBSD
>project aren't in the hardware business, we're software vendors and we
>don't get a whole lot of say over what "our hardware" is going to look
>like.  The best we can do is shoot for a high "approval rating", e.g.
>we dump the latest version on the net and a hoard of PC users shuffles
>over and sniffs it for awhile, finally holding up little index cards
>with numbers printed on them.  We shoot for a 9.0, sometimes we get a
>6.5 :-) In any case, that's the process and we really don't get to
>bitch and whine too much about what the _average_ PC hardware looks
>like if we want to get a high score, we just have to make it as robust
>as we can.
>
>That's why a lot of this talk about what one _can_ do with a PC is
>largely pointless.  One can do a lot of things if one controls all the
>variables, but in our "market" that's about as far from being the case
>as one can get.  You only need to satisfy one basic type of PC user in
>your market, Dennis, and that's a nice luxury to have.  I speak from
>the perspective of someone who sees people trying to do _all sorts_ of
>things with PCs right now, and some of those things are simply not
>(IMO) appropriate

Then you're out of context regarding the discussion at hand, which
happens to be the ability of an (obviously carefully selected) pc to
be used as a 24 X 7 router reliably.

db
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX