Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:33:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Subject:   Re: DDS alternative

On Thursday, 31 December 1998 at 20:24:11 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> As Louis A. Mamakos wrote...

>> Just to chime in on the other side, I've been using DAT tapes for quite a
>> few years, starting with an Archive Python DDS-1 drive and lately with a
>> DDS-2 Archive/Seagate 4 slot changer.  These drives have proven to be
>> reliable for me in a fairly light duty cycle application.  I also just
>> picked up (at work) an HP DDS-3, 6 slot changer.   This looks pretty
>> sweet, with DDS-3 giving you 12GB (about 24GB compressed capacity) per
>> tape.
>>
>> The media is pretty cost-effective, which you should be sure to take
>> into account when comparing the alternatives.
>
> Ever tried to read a tape written a year ago?

Frequently.  I read tapes written 5 years ago.  That's the part that
works :-)

> I've heared to much horror stories about unreadable DAT tapes to
> trust them...

The trouble I have (and continue to have) is that the things have
such a short life.  I used to do a complete backup (4 hours tape
motion) every night.  Under those circumstances, the old DDS-1 drives
lasted about 6 months, and the DDS-2 last about 18 months.

Greg