Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2001 13:43:32 -0700
From:      Jim Krenz <unixverse@mac.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's BSD in this picture?

on 6/3/01 8:55 AM, Rich Morin at rdm@cfcl.com wrote:

> Linux has more mindshare than the BSDs.  This is not news.  BSD is
> starting to get more mindshare, partly as a result of its inclusion
> in Mac OS X.  This is news.  Whether this will translate to any
> adoptions of FreeBSD is, of course, an open question.

Well, it has at least added one: me.

I've been an Apple computer user since the early eighties, starting with an
Apple IIe. When I got Mac OS X, I was very intrigued with its Unix core, and
wanted to explore it. However, I was afraid that I might mess something up
(and this being my main computer, I refrained).

I came into possession of an antique Pentium machine that was sluggishly
running Windows 95. After doing a bit of research, I erased the hard disk
and figured out how to install FreeBSD 4.3 on it. Since this machine was
next to useless otherwise, I figured that I had nothing to lose.

In the past couple of days, I have slowly started learning about the system.
I have now have Apache running on it. I have figured out how to use vi.
Groups and Permissions are giving me some trouble (its a new concept for
me), but I am starting to get them. Other than a telnet problem that has
suddenly occurred, it has been pretty smooth sailing this last week and a
half.

I plan on figuring out Sendmail (so I can avoid the fidgety Pacbell servers)
and want to learn a bit about MySQL and PHP. Maybe even poke around with
DNS.

If Mac OS X hadn't inspired me, that old Pentium would still be sitting in
the corner, gathering dust. And FreeBSD would be another meaningless
acronym.

Jim