Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 96 11:25:14 MDT
From:      crs@hamlet.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   crypt sudo

Hi...

A few interrelated questions:

Is there a port of sudo to FreeBSD that doesn't use crypt?

	I tried building it on my FreeBSD (2.1) box last night and it
	complained about not being able to find crypt which, of course,
	is no surprise.  Is there a version around anywhere that uses
	FreeBSD's alternative to crypt?

What must I do to make FreeBSD compatible with sudo?

	I realize that I must find the DES stuff used in Unix.  But
	what all is involved?  Presumeably, I must get all of that
	stuff and install it (where can I find it and how much is
	there?).  I should think that, if I want sudo to be able to
	use the regular user passwords then I must also convert
	them from the normal form (MD5?) to DES form.  Is this
	process documented anywhere?  How difficult (and time
	consuming) is it?

Thanks for any help.  I'd sure like to be able to use sudo to do simple
root things like mount and such without actually su-ing to root every
time.  I prefer to spend as little time as root as possible.

Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby                         "I'm the NRA!"
       crs@hamlet.lanl.gov                           Life Member since 1965