Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <freelist@webweaver.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        opsys@mail.webspan.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packet Engines - FreeBSD + more

On 27-Jun-98 Terry Lambert wisely wrote:
> SPAMmers look for ISP's who don't stop them from sending SPAM,
> and for relay hosts otherwise.  Either way, the packets coming from
> your customers to the Internet could be a problem for you.

 Oh Yea..We have already had problems with people sending spam from their cable
connection as well as people thinking "cool, I have this nice fast connection to
 my house, I think I'll set up my own server" and set up an NT box or some Linux
 box. The next thing they know I have to call them to ask why odd things are hap
pening from their connection. Only to learn that they have been hacked!
This is a fun game, as there is nothing so dangerous as a clueless user with a T
1 to their house.

>>  What do you mean by "I expect you want them to pull data instead of
>> pushing it?"
>
> I expect that you have a small channel from the user to the Internet,
> and a big channel from the Internet to the user.  Most cable-modem
> setups use ADSL, with a tiny channel for requests and a huge back
> channel for responses, on the theory that an FTP/HTTP "get" will
> result in a heck of a lot of data compared to the size of the request
> for the data... ie: "people get cable modems so they can suck stuff
> down faster".

 Yes, depending on 1 way or 2 way systems and the QOS they buy.

> If you want people to not be able to run HTTP or FTP or other TCP
> based servers, you can refuse connection requests going from the
> Internet to your customers machines.  Connection requests will go
> up, and packets will come back from the server with the "response"
> bit set in the header.
> Connection packets that don't have the "response" bit in them are
> connections to your customer's machines from the Internet -- basically,
> unsolicited traffic in violation of the "don't run a server" policy.
> This is a typical CISCO configuration for corporate firewalls; it
> saves them having to set up proxies for their outbound connections
> (FTP, HTTP, etc.).
> As far as policies go, machine enforcement always works better than
> voluntary cooperation from humans.  8-).

This is a good idea I am going to make sure our new lead Networking person know
s and thinks about this. Thanks :>

>>  Also, having the mail in the users directory makes space usage/quotas
>>  easier to manage for me.
>>
>>  Speaking of which, I think you will like my directory scheme.
>>  Nicole =   /home/1/n/nic/nicole
>>  terry =    /home/2/t/ter/terry
>>  lambert =  /home/3/l/lam/lambert
>
> Good thinking.  A semi-b-tree to break up the directory entry space
> into smaller chunks so linear traversals don't take as long.  8-).

 Thanks!

>>  the first number is a random number generated during acct creation (1-3).
>>
>>  If you can think of any additions or alternatives, please let me know.
>
> The only two that come to mind are:
>
> 1)    "Keep a count and try to balance the tree at account creation
>        time by making the first number choice a weighted value instead
>        of a random number".

 Hmmm Yes, to make sure it stays even and random.

> 2)    "Rebalance the tree from time to time by migrating accounts
>        around.  Just prebalancing the tree (per #1) is not enough,
>        since accunts also have random duration, as well as random
>        arrival times".

 This is tricky however since this will affect those with web sites who hav
e cgi-scripts that need to know where they are. But yes I need to think about ho
w to make sure things stay balanaced. Hmmmm

>> > Solaris x86, or Solaris/SPARC?
>>
>>  They have both, but reccomend the sparc version.
>
> Is the x86 code statically or dynamically linked?

 Dunno.. how do I find out. Just calling them I guess :}

>>  I also need to run the Netscape calendering software.
>
> Hmmmm... r e a l l y...
>
> I have LDAP schema's for the full Netscape calendering, per the Netscape
> published documentation on their Web Site.
>
> What I *don't* have is a way to test vs. a client, or knowledge of
> what the server does besides provide an LDAP repository (if it even
> does anything else).
>
> I was thinking that I'd write a calendering library for client
> interoperability, if I ever found someone who actually bought their
> server...
>
> I can send the netscape.at.conf and netscape.oc.conf files (which
> actually have my version of their entire schema set, not just the
> calendering) if you wanted to putter around.  8-).

 Sure! I love to putter. I learn a lot that way.
 However I know nothing about LDAP. But the calendar software is for schedual ma
nagement for the executypes to set up meetings. How does this work with LDAP?

 I am working on a new Intranet machine and the ONE thing they need/want (the ne
tscape calendering) won't run on FreeBSD so I may have to run a SPARC for the w
hole thing. BAH!

>>  Hmm Yea but the other stuff has a nice pretty interface and has been
>>  used by other cable companies. Just like I have said about the needs
>>  of the FreeBSD pages, the bosses want to see who else is using it,
>>  etc etc. So, I could push it and if it works I'm OK. If it doesn't,
>>  I'm MUD. FreeBSD I know, trust and belive in enough to be able to say
>>  BAH! we don't need  Xbrand comercial UNIX or Billy Bloatware and feel
>>  safe.
>
> 8-).  Yeah; did you see:  http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~kirch/ ?

 No.. However I just read a bit of it and found it most amusing and true. I plan
 to read on.. Thanks

>>  I will look deeper however.
>
> Yeah; don't take unnecessary risks; I was just thinking of the
> financial side of things...

 Yea it's a tough balance. Our new VP of technology is from Netscape so of cours
e he would like to have us use Netscape stuff. Most of which does not run on Fre
eBSD. So I had to present my case as to why FreeBSD and Apache etc.. is good for
 us instead of Netscape Suite etc etc etc ... So far I have been sucessfull in h
aving us standardize on FreeBSD. After all, what's not to love :>

    Nicole

     nicole@webweaver.net  - http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org - http://www.dangermouse.org/