Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:59:39 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        fww@ieee.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix for Section 7.2.1.1 - Soundblaster 16 driver

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:12:44AM -0400, Fred Wheeler wrote:
> Section "7.2.1.1 Configuring a Custom Kernel with Sound Support" of
> the online handbook contains this text:
>
> > Non-PnP ISA cards may require you to provide the kernel with
> > information on the sound card settings (IRQ, I/O port, etc). This is
> > done via the /boot/device.hints file. At system boot, the loader(8)
> > will read this file and pass the settings to the kernel. For example,
> > an old Creative SoundBlaster 16 ISA non-PnP card will use the
> > snd_sbc(4) driver, with the following line added to the kernel
> > configuration file:
> >
> > device snd_sbc
> >
> > as well as the following in /boot/device.hints:
> >
> > hint.sbc.0.at="isa"
> > hint.sbc.0.port="0x220"
> > hint.sbc.0.irq="5"
> > hint.sbc.0.drq="1"
> > hint.sbc.0.flags="0x15"
> >
> > In this case, the card uses the 0x220 I/O port and the IRQ 5.

Well you quoted only one part, you have to read the whole section...
especially the information before your quoted part.

> I think this is slightly misleading and I have a fix.
>
> I just used the handbook to help get FreeBSD recognizing an old
> Creative SoundBlaster 16 ISA non-PnP card.  I have found that drivers
> other than "snd_sbc" are needed.  I found that I needed to put
>
>   device snd_driver

[...]

Once again, you missed an important part when you read this section
(7.2.1.1 Configuring a Custom Kernel with Sound Support):

The 1st line states:

"The first thing to do is adding the generic audio driver sound(4) to the
kernel, for that you will need to add the following line to the kernel
configuration file:

device sound"

[...]

"Then we have to add the support for our sound card."

[...]

To sum up:
You only added support for your card but not the required sound(4)
driver, so it could not work.

Marc