Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:41:11 -0500
From:      Loren Thiel <thiel@genevaonline.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   using NATD

Well, I've got a problem with my setup that I explained in a mail to
freebsd-questions:

>Need help with ppp!
>I switched to kernel ppp (previously tried user ppp)
>When I give the command: ppp-up
>the computer sits for about 2 min...doing nothing....then it dials and gives:
>
>connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cuaa1
>local IP addr 156.46.117.39
>Remote IP addr 156.46.205.5
>add default route: File exists
>add default route: File exists
>add default route: File exists
>

>ifconfig -a gives the following:
>
>ex0: flags=843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
>	inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
>	ether 00:a0:c9:0a:ca:d0
>tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
>ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>	inet 156.46.117.39 --> 156.46.205.5 netmask 0xffffff00
>lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>
>ex0 is my Etherexpress Pro/10 which is connected to 1 other computer.
>Its ip is 10.0.0.1, and seems to be working ok.  However I didn't try to
ping the other computer its attached to yet.

>But when I try:
>ping home.netscape.com
>or
>ping www.yahoo.com
>I get both times:
>cannot resolve home.netscape.com (or www.yahoo.com) unknown host.

I got this responce:

>Unless you are using NATD your packets are probably using
>the 10 address.  Your DNS queries, pings, etc have a source
>IP of 10.0.0.1 which no one can reply to.  You may be able
>to run tcpdump on the ppp0 interface to verify.  Read the
>natd manual page and set up ipfw/natd.

I temporarily I disabled ex0...dialed up....and everything seems to work fine.
The message: "add default route: File exists" also disappeared.

I attempted to read the man page on NATD...however it seems quite
complicated..
Is there anyone out there who's set NATD up before?  Or are there any
tutorials out there?
Is it really a hard process that maybe I shouldn't get into, being new to
freebsd?  I'd like to use my FreeBSD machine to be a gateway for one other
computer to the internet.  However, its not that incredibly
important...because I have to use a 14.4 modem with FreeBSD, because my new
modem is a WinModem 33.6.  (WINmodem...won't work with freebsd...didn't
think of that when I bought it) I do have WinGate...which I use with
Windows 95 now to allow the other computer to get to the internet, but I
wanted to try something new...and more stable than a forever crashing windows.
That's my story. :)
Thanks for any help,

Loren Thiel
thiel@genevaonline.com
ICQ: 1117658

Give your computer something to do when it would normally just be sitting
idle....
Join the worlds fastest computer:  www.distributed.net/rc5