Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 23:30:38 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

At 3:44 PM  -0500 5/24/96, Karl Denninger, MCSNet wrote:
>The thing that really pisses me off about the PCs is the "edge-card" type of
>connector.  Those things just don't hold their quality and connectivity over
>the long haul.

One of my pet peeves is how even the "highest quality" card manufacturers
will scrimp on the copper (and maybe gold) edge connector by not placing
copper on the unused connectors. In the Apple ][ days we saw many systems
fail where a card was used that placed bare PCB material against a
connector, then the card was replaced with one that needed to use that
connector. The gold had abraded from the Apple's connector and no longer
made a good enough contact. The only official solution was to replace the
MB. No doubt Apple learned something from that lesson before the Mac II's
NuBus.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison