Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:10:49 +0200
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers' list)
Subject:   Re: Ok - riddle me this oh Sendmail gurus...

According to Thomas David Rivers:
> Here's my .mc file - I've set up a mailertable as the FAQ
> suggests.

You need a mailertable only if you expect to do routing between UUCP sites.

> The things I've done different than what the FAQ suggests
> is to set "masquerade as", so things look right, and, I'm
> not using uucp-dom, just uucp.  I found that when I used
> uucp-dom, the uuxqt commands indicate the sender's machine
> is ponds.water.net, which isn't valid because I don't have
> a registered domain or any MX records floating around for
> ponds.water.net.  What I need to have happen is for it to
> say "ponds" (e.g. ponds!rivers, not ponds.water.net!rivers.)

Can't  you just register  water.net and get a MX  record pointing to dg-rtp
whouch would then route it for you thru UUCP ?

> ---------------------------- ponds.mc --------------------------------
> Divert(-1)
> #
>    yada... yada... yada.. (copyright clipped for brevity.)
>
> VERSIONID(`ponds version 2')
> OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
> MASQUERADE_AS(ponds.UUCP)

It is not valid.  If you want  to masquerade, it is  supposed to be a valid
FQDN.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #17: Fri Aug  2 20:40:17 MET DST 1996