Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:43:59 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf vs. ipfw ?

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 02:59 -0700, matthew zeier wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the differences between ipf and ipfw ?
> Which is "better" ?

The fact that you put quotes around the 'better' term shows you
are aware that "more appropriate" is the better :) phrasing.
There's no anytime-better-tool but maybe one that fits _your_
situation more than another.

As I can see (keep in mind neither am I part of the ipf nor the
ipfw development) it's like this:
- ipfw comes with FreeBSD, has done so for quite some time and is
  integrated into the startup sequence
- ipfw does exist for FreeBSD only (??? I'm not sure of this -
  it's more of an impression - , but surely this will get
  corrected in case I'm wrong)
- ipfw has learned about stateful inspection recently

- ipf comes from different platforms and "by chance" runs on
  FreeBSD, too (although Darren can comment much better on how
  much work it is to incorporate it into the network stack)
- utilizing ipf in FreeBSD takes some rc files editing by the
  admin right now, but hopefully this will chance soon (see the
  conf/20202 PR)
- ipf has had stateful inspection right from the start and has
  been around with this feature for quite some time

There are some issues (maybe non-issues) with bridging,
portability, etc others are better in commenting at.  From my
perspective it boils down to:

- are you already familiar with one of the languages, do you
  already use one or the other?  i.e. how much work is it for you
  to use "the other" or is either one the first effort you spend?
- does one of them lack a feature you need?  (IIRC ipf doesn't
  cope with the dummy interface you need for load balancing or
  rate limiting, this could be a reason for you to deny its use
  right away)

Everything else is up to you ...

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net