Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 19:11:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux "stub" libraries? (was Re: Quake's out..)

On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> Exactly. And those will take away precious RAM pages in my system,
> for identical functionality as provided by the FreeBSD libraries.
> (And it may amount to several MB total, if native and Linux X11
> binaries are used simultanously ...)
>
> It's the same situation, that causes Linux to need more RAM, if both
> a.out and ELF applications are used. But we always managed to avoid
> this ...

Well, the ultimate solution would be to somehow make "stub" versions of
all the Linux shared libraries (a.out and eventually ELF) that simply
connect and "pass through" to the FreeBSD version.  Can anybody with
experience in the technical issues verify whether or not this is possible?
If so it would be a great boost for us (and could be applied to Linux for
systems with a.out and ELF binaries).

> Well, there won't be FreeBSD support then, because it is too expensive
> for the vendor to support another platform.

As I said, better to support FreeBSD through emulation than no FreeBSD
support at all.  Besides, we should think positively, maybe one day we
will be more popular than Linux and Linux users will have to run FreeBSD
apps in emulation mode.  :-)

---Jake