Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 1995 23:10:26 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: More thoughts on the installer

Brian, some good suggestions here, thanks!

Since I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment, I hope you'll forgive
my terse line-by-line responses to your comments!  Nothing personal,
just time!

> * The last line in the installer help file sounds a little awkward.

A bit too late to change it and all of the translations.  Pass.

> * If you enter scrollback, forget, and start typing, nothing apparent

I think "scroll lock" has always had that effect.. :-)

> * The release notes is buggered near the end.  The mail address reads
>   "bugs@Fr" and that's it.  Speaking of which, is it capitalized

Really??  It's fine in my copy.  Perhaps we had some bad floppies at
some point or MFS is truncating the uncompressed file.  I'll check
into it!

> * Don't forget about the "==> Put more text into this section ;-) <=="
>   section at the end of the installer help.  :)

Fixed.. :-)

> * While I was browsing help, at some point I got a "uid 0 on /: file
>   system full" on the debuggin screen.  This was before I proceeded to
>   partition/disklabel/install, so it can't be talking about the HD.

Fixed, I think.  Please re-verify with the latest.

> * The "Toggle extra debugging flag" should read "Turn on debugging

Fixed.

> * The Select Drives dialog box (before you entire the partition
>   editor) should remind the user to use the spacebar to select disks.

Fixed.

> * The partition editor tells me the minimum partition size is 1
>   megabyte, but I cannot make one exactly 1 megabyte in size.

Use blocks. :-)

> * What's an 'X' partition?  Extended?  Why would that apply within a
>   FreeBSD slice?  When I tried to make lots and lots of filesystems,
>   the installer hung after I filled all eight slots on the screen.

??  Not seen this!  Will check.

> * A couple of typos in the "Select Distributions" dialog:  "Spelling
>   checker disctionary files..." and "...compatability...".

Fixed, thanks.

> * What's "XFree86 3.1.1L" (also in the same dialog)?

Fixed, thanks.

> * The default shell in vty0 does not seem to have the PATH set, and no
>   usual shell utils are found (like 'ls', although I made do with
>   "echo *" in the meantime).

Fixed, thanks.

> * If installing from a ufs filesystem, the "Value Required" dialog box
>   reads "...distribtion files..."

Fixed, thanks.

>   compat20), then it hung.  The last line of the debug screen was
>   "4110 blocks" (the size of the compat20 file).  It should have gone
>   on to display the dialog telling the user everything had been
>   unpacked.

Looking into it.

> * Instead of using <OK> and <Cancel> on many of the dialogs, wouldn't
>   <Set> and <Go back> (or similar) be better?

It would be but I'm not modifying libdialog. :-)

> * The timezone config in the post-install process seems to be
>   reversing its idea of the BIOS clock being on local or UTC.  My

Garrett?

> * There should be a more explicit dialog box after the post-install to
>   tell the user that everything is done and the machine can be
>   rebooted, enjoy your new FreeBSD 2.0.5 system, etc., etc.  Having to
>   quit out of three or four layers of dialog boxes to reboot seems
>   sort of anti-climactic and unfulfilling to me.  ;-)

I'm not sure what would be fulfilling in this context, so I'll
pass.. :-)

> * During another session of fiddling, I noticed I could go into the
>   partition editor wizard mode twice.  Went in the first time,
>   exitted, forgot something, then tried to go back in.  I get the "Are
>   you sure" dialog, but hitting OK just returns me to the partition
>   editor.  Selecting cancel gives me the "That was a wise move!"
>   comment.  ;-)

Weird.  I'll look into it.

>     I apologize if some of the above are vague, or already addressed
> in the latest boot floppy.  It was pretty late at night, and I had

No, thanks for the feedback!

					Jordan