Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:24:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   binary upgrade via sysinstall

Couple questions about binary upgrade via sysinstall:

1. When I did a binary upgrade via sysinstall it went all the way
to the final menu saying that the upgrade is completed, but
at that point there were no /kernel.
It created /kernel.GENERIC , it renamed /kernel to /kernel.prev,
but didn't create a new /kernel
I remember when I was doing such a binary upgrade previously (3.x) -
it did everything alright.
So, I wonder, at what stage should sysinstall copy kernel.GENERIC to /kernel ?

Upon a quick glance over the sysinstall source files,
the only place where something (kernel_generic) is copied to /kernel
is in installFixupBin.
The only time this function is called is in dist.c:

    /* Only do bin fixup if bin dist was successfully extracted */
    if ((old_dists & DIST_BIN) && !(Dists & DIST_BIN))
        status |= installFixupBin(self);

When should that be happening ?

I must be missing the point when the /kernel is created.

2. BTW, if one wants to do a binary upgrade from an existing file system
_remotely_, how would one is supposed to obtain a copy of the appropriate
sysinstall for the new version (floppy and CD-ROM is out of question).

Thanks,

Igor