Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:15:18 +0300
From:      "Jukka Similä" <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        fewtch@serv.net, Daniel Guetzkow <guetzkow@access.digex.net>, "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   majordomo is ok, don't blame it..

Sue Blake wrote:

> It probably looks that way, but it is not possible for one subscriber to
> unsubscribe another subscriber. The FreeBSD lists are set up so that only
> the subscriber or the FreeBSD Postmaster can unsubscribe people.
>
> > Anyone can unsubscribe anybody else. Take a look at this portion of the
> > letter I received from majordomo@freebsd.org after resubscribing:
>
> You must be referring to this:
>
> > or from another account, besides fewtch@serv.net:

> That's part of the standard info from Majordomo. Majordomo itself
> provides that facility, but in the case of these lists it is inactivated
> for ordinary subscribers (but not for the Postmaster). Sometimes the
> Postmaster needs to use such a command, for example, because a subscribed
> account has gone haywire and is spitting rubbish to a list and the
> subscriber or their administrator cannot be contacted. No-one else can
> do it though.
>
> I wonder how you ascertained that you were unsubscribed. It is fairly
> common for people to be unsubscribed after a certain number of messages
> to that subscriber have bounced. You may not receive an advice of this,
> after all, Majordomo has ascertained that the mail couldn't go through.
> This is an automatic process, part of Majordomo's self-preservation
> instinct.
>
> If there have been problems with mail at your end, or if you have any
> doubts, the easiest way is to attempt to subscribe to the list again.
> Majordomo will either resubscribe you, or write back saying you're
> already subscribed.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-

address
  and authentication works ok, this is what i got:

------

Your request to Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG:

has been forwarded to the owner of the "freebsd-newbies" list for approval.
This could be for any of several reasons:

    You might have asked to subscribe to a "closed" list, where all new
        additions must be approved by the list owner.

    You might have asked to subscribe or unsubscribe an address other than
        the one that appears in the headers of your mail message.

When the list owner approves your request, you will be notified.

If you have any questions about the policy of the list owner, please
contact "freebsd-newbies-approval@FreeBSD.ORG".

Thanks!

Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG

-----

pz. sorry, list owner, whoever you are, for some extra work.. :)

Jukka Simila <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>