Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:26:05 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD direction/Damonnews article

At 08:55 PM 6/6/2001, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

>Erm, I don't see how that follows.  The CIA has enormous resources and
>a 9 figure yearly budget (that we know about), but that doesn't mean I
>expect them to go out of their way to tap my phone.  They certainly
>*could* tap my phone, sure, but why should they bother?

No, but they might tap your phone for other reasons.... For example,
your involvement with that subversive software stuff (including
an OS that contains -- horrors! -- strong encryption). Or other
things we won't go into here. ;-)

>The same
>applies to the assumption that corporations are out to bend open
>source to their will or are even particularly interested in it,

They have good reasons, though much more so in the case of GPLed
code. (The purpose of the GPL is, after all, to destroy businesses.)

--Brett