Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:42:31 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        Simon Strandgaard <neoneye@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk14 cannot install on freebsd6.1

O Simon Strandgaard έγραψε στις Aug 7, 2006 :

> On 8/7/06, Simon Strandgaard <neoneye@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday I installed freebsd  6.1 from scratch. I have never before
> > installed java on freebsd. However I cannot seem to figure out what
> > I am doing wrong.  Any ideas ?
> [snip]
>
> I realized that there is a jdk15 ports.
> When installing via ports I got an error that glib 2.10 or newer was required.
> I tried as well installing the gnome2 package on a fresh freebsd 6.1,
> hoping that it would include a  sufficiently new glib, however during
> installation it failed as well.. I cannot recall what the message in
> the dialog said.
>

> Having spend hours on this I installed ubuntu linux.. this took ~80 minutes
> from I downloading to I had java running. Sorry FreeBSD.

In your last
> cd /usr/ports/java/jdk14
> make install clean
===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
mkdir: /usr/ports/java/jdk14/work: Permission denied
*** Error code 1 (ignored)

apparently you forgot to run make as root.

Apart from that, the situation you are describing is not any helpful at
all.

I dont think you did any proper preparation before trying to do any
serious freebsd work.

If you spent *hours* on "this" then you should at least send a PR
or inform the FreeBSD -java list somehow.

I dont swear by it, but if you really spent *hours* on it,
then sooner or later you will face similar "unbeatable" problems
with ubuntu as well.