Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 19:03:13 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        imp@village.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

>The other change that I make is to modify the probe routine of syscons
>to fail if there is no keyboard. Otherwise the system panic when it tries
>to do bcopy's to a nonexistant screencard.

It is supposed to default to a mono board with no VGA BIOS and only copy
to mono screen memory if there is no video card there.  This should be
safe unless you have another device mapped into mono screen memory.  Such
devices must be even rarer than new mono boards :-).

Anyway, you need it to fail so that the serial console is automatically
used if there is no keyboard.

Bruce