Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:22:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mwlucas@gltg.com
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound on toshiba satellite 4015cds

Hello,

I have sound working on my laptop, almost.

Any files I play are extremely soft, even when the volume dial is all
the way up.  I know that the speakers work; when I use filename
completion, I get a quite loud annoying beep.

My mixer output lacks a volume control:

moneysink~;mixer
Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  32:32
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer igain    is currently set to  37:37
moneysink~;

From BIOS:

wss I/0		530h
SBPro I/O	220h
Synth I/O	288h

Wss & SBPro & MPU401	IRQ5
WSS (play) DMA		1
WSS (rec) DMA		0
Control I/O		538h
MPU401(MIDI I/F)	330h

From dmesg:

... try to identify the yamaha
pcm0 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0xa210 on isa
mss_attach <mss>0 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:0 flags 0xa210

From kernel config:

device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not particularly attached to the pcm
driver, but I didn't get *any* sound out of voxware.  Of course,
that's probably because I'm doing something wrong.

This is not a plug-and-play system.

I'd appreciate any help at all!

Thanks,
Michael