Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 21:32:04 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        searle@longacre.demon.co.uk
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR controller problem?

>>>>> Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> (ncr:6:0) COMMAND FAILED (6 2) @ f066f948

Judging from your dmesg output, this is your CDROM...

> Does/could this mean that there is something wrong with my controller/drive?

The first thing to do with any kind of SCSI problem is to check and
double-check the cables and that all your devices are properly
terminated.  With CDROM drives, make sure they are absolutely
horizontal and firmly fixed to their surroundings.

The next thing is to carry out some kind of test.  There is a scsi(8)
command on FreeBSD, but it seems to assume quite a bit of knowledge
about SCSI.  Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is
rebooting and using whatever facilities are available in the BIOS or
even (gack!) under DOS.

> (I guess my drive is OK, as it hadn't got as far as detecting it.) The only
> other problems I have had with this machine are with floppies (They are slow,
> occasionally use a lot of CPU, produce errors like 'input ready timeout' and
> 'hard error at fsbn xxxx' (while reading and writing successfully) and at
> least twice caused panics - but this may be the msdosfs, not the floppy.)

Try installing the mtools package - it makes using DOS floppies almost
bearable :-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk