Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 16:32:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Frank Pawlak wrote:

*** snipped a bunch about weapons and design ***

>turned into hamburger on the spot.  This is strictly an assault weapon, that
>does not belong in the hands of any civilains for any reason, just by nature of
>design.

I did not comment on the design of firearms but I do know the difference
between semi and fully automatic. You will see other comments in this
thread that I make about semiauto weapons.

I agree totally. I am in complete agreement with the Federal Firearms act
of 1934 which prohibits the ownership of fully automatic weapons and other
weapons of mass destruction.

On the causes of crime and the effect punishment has there can be much
debate because it is such an obtuse subject. I might in turn argue that
Saudi Arabia has a low crime because of it's terrible punishments. I might
argue that Switerzland has low crime because everyone is armed. I think
such comparisons must be considered carefully. The US is not Switzerland
or Saudi Arabia.

This still leaves us with how to end murderousness in the US. I do not
think the death penalty will achieve this. Nor do I propose to abolish the
death penalty. What I do believe is that mutual repsect for fellow
citizens and for the law can reduce murderousness.

How I would achieve this respect is difficult, but it includes a huge dose
of education. Perhaps I have strayed from the "gun" issue here, but I
think this statement follows from my fundamental position of "human"
responsibilty. I don't believe in the "gun" problem but I do believe in
the "human" problem.

If we can "fix" the human condition then perhaps we may have peace.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/