Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:29:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Small prog to demonstrate linux-jdk1.3.x signal handling prob lem.

> Hmm. I'm running it on my box now. It hasn't died yet and reponds to ^C just
> fine. My system uses the Linux JDK 1.3.1 port rev. 1, linux_base 6.1,
> freebsd 4.4-stable as of november 1st.
>
> Is it supposed to SEGV immediately or after running for some time?

The key bit is to run it with the hotspot JVM. This JVM uses linux
threads, which seems to be the 'trigger' for the problem.

Take a look at -

/usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.x/jre/lib/jvm.cfg

it should look like

| -client
| -server
| -hotspot
| -classic

The first JVM in the list is the one that gets used by default. If I'm not
mistaken the port changes this file to -

| -classic
| -client
| -server
| -hotspot

defaulting you to the 'classic' JVM. The other (3) JVMs all use HotSpot
but are 'tuned' for different types of applications - hence 'client' and
'server'.

I differ with Ari's view that only 'Hello World' can be run on HotSpot.
Indeed the buggy app I'm trying to run is a full-on class-parser/native
code generator - it's pretty massive. And it does run, and fast. It's just
this niggly SEGV signal handling problem that's driving me nuts.