Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:39:23 -0500
From:      David Watson <dwatson@eecs.umich.edu>
To:        Clint Gilders <techservices@onlinehobbyist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot of Dell 1750 fails with multiple SCSI drives installed

> We have a brand new Dell Power Edge 1750 with an LSILogic 1030
> Ultra 4 SCSI Adapter and 2 x 73 GB harddrives.
>
> With the two factory installed drives attached the system will not
> boot from the install CD.

We're having similar problems with a PowerEdge 2600, that probably
has an identical controller and drives.  I haven't had time to diagnose
the problem but was able to do an install after removing all but one
drive.  After booting I was able to add the other drives and rescan the bus
(camcontrol rescan all).  I didn't verify that I could write to the drives,
but camcontrol completed successfully and the drives appeared to be
available.

When I try to boot with more than one drive it pauses for a long time
after "Waiting for SCSI devices to settle" and then prints out a bunch
of errors before eventually rebooting.  It looks like there's a problem
when the SCSI driver tries to probe the disks.

I haven't had a chance to try to track this down further, but I will try
to get more details in the near future.

David Watson