Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 11:40:03 -0700
From:      Andrew McRae <amcrae@cisco.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

>>know, because I work with cisco hardware engineers every day,
>>and I know the effort that goes into *both* hardware and
>>software to make products viable.
>
>I was being cynical. I think most of ciscos stuff is mediocre at
>best, particular their wan protocol implementation.

I really can't (and won't) comment - I try and avoid exchanges
that may degenerate into the usual Usenet pattern. I do think
that if you have *specific* criticisms or comments, cisco
are open to hearing them. Try cisco@spot.colorado.edu.

>>it's not the end of the world to have downtime.  PC's can be used in
>>this environment, and FreeBSD is a really good fit here.
>
>perhaps true, but you get a whole lot more bang for your buck.
>The big joke is that most equipment is obsolete in a year
>or less, so the hardware issue is really almost moot.

Well, this is usually true with PCs, but usually people like
to install routers for the long term; there are still lots of
AGS and 4000s out there, even though they are years old.
I wish that people did replace their routers every year; boy,
would *that* rocket the stock price :-)

>>And for the core routers of the Internet or in a large
>>organisation, I suspect that you *would* be fired if
>>you tried to use anything except a serious dedicated router.
>
>you can come pretty close, but not with standard O/Ss. But
>i've never claimed that PCs were good candidates for backbone
>routers. Its just the 2500s and the 4000s that can be
>replaced.

Well, perhaps it is true; compare apples with apples - put
together the lowest priced configuration and *then* benchmark
it. I used to have a PC-route 286 box running that I put
together out of scrap. But it couldn't handle 1/10 the
traffic that a 4000 could. I suspect that by the time
you built a box that performs the same as a 4500 (which is
*really* the cisco mid range box), you would be spending
similar $$. But if it is as cheap as you say, go do it!
Lots of people would buy one, and you would make lotsa $$.

>>C'mon guys, use the right tool for the job. Don't tell me
>>you can replace routers with PC's. I would like to see the
>>PC that can sustain routing of over a million packets per second
>>like a fully loaded 7513 can. On the other hand, I have yet
>>to see a router run Doom...
>
>no, but 30 PCs can, for about the same cost as a 7513. Can a
>2500 route a million packets per second? Why not just
>scrap it then, since its clearly inadaquate by your own standards?

I don't understand this argument; are you saying that 30 PCs
will do the same job as a 7513? How? And weren't we talking about
core routers? What's a 2500 got to do with it? I thought you never
claimed that PCs were good candidates for backbone routers? Just
what *are* you saying?

>and lets be real. Cisco's performance numbers have always
>been theoretical. They can't do anything close to what the specs
>say. Funny how the numbers are always just about dead on
>the theoretical bus maximum.

I certainly *must* take exception to that. *Please* don't fall
into the Usenet trap of making outrageous statements without
any proof of numbers!  I personally have run a lot of cisco
products at the specified max throughput. Again, be specific!
Which products have you tested? What was the configuration?
what numbers did you achieve? Which `theoretical bus maximum'
number are talking about here? Generally the bottleneck is
CPU performance, not the bus bandwidth.  Cisco's performance
numbers *are* measured values, *not* calculated theoretical numbers.

>Perhaps you should check with your own company...Ive heard
>they've acquired a few PC card companies....

And also a few frame relay companies, and ATM companies, and about
a dozen other companies. Nothing succeeds like success :-)

>Dennis

Andrew McRae (suspecting that getting on this thread was a mistake)