Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 21:54:30 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        snapkwl@anubis.network.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supported Configurations

> 	In considering the FreeBSD product for my use, I ran across the section in the
> 2.1.5R release notes that talks about supported configurations. The statement is made
> you support PCs "ranging from 386sx to Pentium Pro class machines" but the statement
> is made "(though the 386sx is not recommended)." Why is the 386sx not on the
> recommended list?

The 386SX does work, it's just very slow (especially as they often
only support 4MB of RAM, which is the very minimum for running
FreeBSD).

>Is there a more complete list of supported machines? If so, where
> could I look at it?

Go to http://www.freebsd.org/, follow the documentation link until you
get to the Handbook, and then read the section entitled "Jordan's
picks", which is a list of recommended hardware.

As a quick rule of thumb, pay the extra for SCSI if you can afford it,
go for as much RAM as possible and a nice big disk, but don't worry
too much about getting the latest and greatest CPU.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk